List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc-2.3?
From:       Bart Verwilst <verwilst () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-10-04 10:10:01

On Friday 04 October 2002 07:46, Thomas M. Beaudry wrote:
|| > I noticed that glibc 2.3 was released today.
|| > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2002-10/msg00048.html
|| >
|| > Are there any plans to implement glibc-2.3 with gentoo?
|| Man, I had finished my 1.4rc1 install and was starting to get
|| it configured too!!!!
|| Well, I don't know about official Gentoo but I'm going to start
|| a new install just as soon as I can download the new glibc.  It
|| and gcc are the two items that I have to have just as soon as
|| they come out with a new version.

I read glibc 2.3 is binary compatible with 2.2.5..
Would be nice :o)

"The 2.3.x release should be binary compatible with the 2.2 and earlier
releases.  All correct programs should continue to run.  This does
*not* mean that programs compiled on a system running glibc 2.3.x will
run on systems with only glibc 2.2.  Compatibility is always in one
direction.  Systems with glibc 2.2 will not even attempt to run
binaries generated with glibc 2.3.x if this is not possible so there
is not much to worry about."

I want it!! :o)

--=20
Bart Verwilst