List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions on creating an ebuild
From:       Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-09-30 7:09:21

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> writes:

> > You will notice that there is no version number in the software (because
> > the "big deal" about this software is the LGPLing of it).  How can one
> > work around that?  I have, so far, had to have an ebuild filename that
> > doesn't reflect the name of the tarball AND have had to explicitly state
> > the name of the tarball (and so not use ${P}).  Can this be worked
> > around or should I contact the author of the software?
> in the SRC_URI, just explicitly type the filename rather than doing ${P}.tgz
> as for the ebuild naming, for now put the date stamp on it ...
> judy-20020627.ebuild

I don't believe this is enough. Since the filename does not contain
unique versioning information, it is susceptible to the problem where
the digest becomes out of date with package in SRC_URI.

You need to make a note of this when you submit the ebuild to
bugs.gentoo.org. The developer who handles it will probably download
the source package rename it to include some version information
(probably just a date), create the digest for the ebuild and then
upload the renamed source package it to the distfiles sub-dir on the
mirrors.

I think...

Matt
--
Matthew Kennedy
Gentoo Linux Developer

Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6C25B0A2
Finger Print:  0C61 0CBC C669 5F26 8DBF  006D FBAB 30EA 6C25 B0A2