List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Partial downloading to replace with local version
From:       "Frédéric" Delanoy <delanoy_f () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-09-29 21:53:08

Hello,

I began downloading a large file (i.e. X420src-2.tgz) as part of a
"emerge -f xfree" command.

Meanwhile, I got the file locally (on some CDROM).

I replaced the partially downloaded file with my local version by
  1. Putting the file locally on a local webserver (file:// doesn't
     function)
  2. Editing the /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree/xfree-4.2.0-r12.ebuild
       - SRC_PATH0="http://127.0.0.1/path/"

The problem : it (wget) "downloads" the file correctly, but says
afterwards

    !!! Couldn't download X420src-2.tgz. Aborting.
    !!! Fetch for /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree/xfree-4.2.0-r12.ebuild
    failed, continuing...

Wget's (v1.8.1) manpage says :

"  --continue

  If there is a file named ls-lR.Z in the current directory, Wget will
  assume that it is the first portion of the remote file, and will ask
  the server to continue the retrieval from an offset equal to the
  length of the local file. "

but I don't find this file anywhere (nor in /usr/portage/distfiles, nor
elsewhere on my filesystem).

Is there a workaround for this problem (other than redownloading the
whole file) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.