List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Hey SEXY!
From:       Fredrik Jagenheim <humming () pobox ! com>
Date:       2002-09-26 9:57:58

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 06:06:06PM -0400, mike wrote:

> i'd have to agree ... things like -dev and above should be closed while
> -user and -newbies and such make sense to have open ... then the holy
> wars can happen on -user and even more chaos can ensue ;)

I don't see the usefulness of having mailinglists open at all. I
personally dislike when I get both a personal reply and a reply to the
mailinglist, and thus always reply only to the mailing list and not
individual users (unless it's a personal matter, than I don't send it
to the mailinglist, ofcourse). I get enough mail as it is and
don't need multiple copies. :)

As for us with multiple accounts; there are ways to set the From:
field in all decent mailprograms. Why not educate these two or three
users that suffers from this rather than exposing thousands of
subscribers to spam?

As I said, mailinglists should be closed for subscribers. It's easy
enough to both subscribe and unsubscribe from mailinglists through
various web-interfaces that even total newbies should be able to
use it. Besides, as someone else said; there are both Forums and IRC
and probably some other information channels as well that can be used
if you can't figure out how this subscribe thingymagick works. :)

//Humming, happy user of spamassassin; but some Spam always manages to
get through that filter. This particular spam did. ;)