List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Hey SEXY!
From:       Mark Bainter <mark-gt () cymry ! org>
Date:       2002-09-25 17:59:55

Owen Stampflee [owens@csc.uvic.ca] wrote:

> > Anyone considered closing the list to non-subscribed posts?  This spam
> > is getting pretty annoying :(
> It has been discussed but many people have objections because it makes the
> list more 'closed' and requires extra steps for a newbie to ask

Hrm.  This being the dev list, I don't see why the newbie issue is a
problem.  In addition, if a newbie does not wish to subscribe, there
are always the forums and IRC.  Forums require registration, and IRC
requires at least a minimum of effort, why not mailing lists?

Is subscribing to a list really so much to ask?

> questions. Another problem is that many people have multiple accounts
> which causes more problems.

I have multiple accounts, and requiring subscription doesn't
cause me any problems.  What exactly are you referring to here?