List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper Gentoo Name (was License criteria for Gentoo)
From:       Moritz Schulte <moritz () duesseldorf ! ccc ! de>
Date:       2002-09-25 14:29:18

Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@cs.kun.nl> writes:

> I know that, although one would probably still want a hurd that
> complies to the linux interface, (provides the linux chasis) [...]

What do you mean with "linux interface"?  I guess you mean the system
call interface of Linux.  The Hurd itself cannot conform to that,
because of it's design.

In Linux - and in Unix in general - you can use the system services
via system calls, a uniform way.  This includes accessing files,
creating processes, networking, etc.  In the Hurd, there are seperate
"servers" for such things and the services are used via RPCs.

But since GNU aims POSIX compliance, of course, we have a POSIX
interface , which is encapsulated in glibc.  So, POSIX compliance
programs should compile on GNU/Hurd just as they do on GNU/Linux -
with few exceptions.

In case you were referring to a binary compatibility - which means:
having the same ABI - that does not exist at the moment although there
have been some discussions on that topic on the Hurd lists.

		moritz
--
moritz@duesseldorf.ccc.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06  B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199