List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Openmosix
From:       Corvus Corax <corvusvcorax () gemia ! de>
Date:       2002-09-19 15:16:55

Am 19 Sep 2002 16:43:22 +0300
schrieb Vitaly Kushneriuk <vitaly_kushneriuk@yahoo.com>:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the original mosix was useless for
> the compilation speed improvements due to the fact that a typical
> compilation process doesn't last long enough to even be considered
> for migration. And even if the migration would be forced, the migration
> overhead compared to the process execution time, would kill all the time
> savings.
>
> 	Vitaly

AFAIK theres a ENV-Variable or Makefile option (dunno what or where exactly this has \
to be specified) to say "make" to be more parallelisized, for optimum of "n" CPUs, \
maybe there is an actual speed increase, if one sets this value to the amount of \
computers in the cluster, but i dunno how to set this for for example kernel \
compilation or ebuilds.

does anyone have experience in this and can say me how to set this cpu number and if \
it is useful with openmosix?

Corvus V Corax