List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] XMMS license change?
From:       maarten () murphy ! belgonet ! be
Date:       2002-08-30 13:20:04

Hi,

XMMS is mentioned as having license GPL-2 in our ebuilds. However unless
we disable the MP3 input plugin, sale of a CD containing XMMS could be
infringing on the MP3 patent owner's rights. Non-commercial use is OK but
please remember that there are several commercial initiatives already in
Gentoo and we wouldn't want to be held liable for providing incorrect
licensing information leading to patent infringement.

Do we somehow either disable MP3 in the ebuild (make a USE flag?) or
change the license to something else?

cheers,
maarten