List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Very bad ebuild-writing practice.
From:       Alexander Gretencord <arutha () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-08-18 14:46:18

Dan Naumov wrote:
>>But suppose someone did want an ebuild for the hourly CVS snapshots?
>>How should it be named?
>
> My personal belief is that ebuilds of hourly CVS snapshots should
> never leave the PORTDIR_OVERLAY of the original author. IMHO,
 > Gentoo Portage is no place for autogenerated, untested CVS stuff.
 > How are you going to go around non-compiling snapshots of broken
 > trees and new compile options that appear from time to timw
 > anyways ?

Well I think we do need such ebuilds _but_ they gotta be named
accordingly. You have to see that it is a cvs ebuild. I for one use
mplayer as my multimedia player of choice but I won't use the ebuild
because mplayer releases don't come too often. For a very long time
there was just the 0.60 release of mplayer which sucked, while cvs
always builds (just personal exp tho) and has tons of features. I have
not bothered to look at the cvs eclass and build my mplayer myself but
mplayer is such an example where a cvs ebuild would be great. Another
example is is kde. Why not use the convenience of portage to test the
latest kde.

Alex