List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel recompile on existing gentoo system?
From:       Paul de Vrieze <pauldv () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-05-31 8:01:42

On Thursday 30 May 2002 22:40, Phil Hall wrote:
> Hello, forgive me if I'm being stupid, but is there a way to recompile the
> kernel on an up and running gentoo linux system without basically redoing
> the entire install? If so I missed it (like I said, I could be just
> stupid.) ;)

Of course there is such a way. First download the new kernel sources (either
by hand or using emerge (emerge gentoo-sources). Then go to /usr/src/linux
Type make menuconfig, configure the kernel, make dep, make bzImage, make
modules, make modules_install, and cp the new kernel to the boot dir.

Also take a look at man grub to see how you can enable the option to choose
between kernels.

Paul

ps. Of course a reboot is nescesarry to load the new kernel

--
Paul de Vrieze
Junior Researcher