List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE2/3 - KOffice problems (a bit more explanation)
From:       "Eugenia Loli-Queru" <eloli () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2002-04-08 9:30:28

Thank you for your reply,
KDM is now working as advertised. :)

However, about the KOffice problem. I found what was wrong and I am not sure
that there is a fix though...

So, the whole problem is because KDE 3 was installed prior to the KDE
2-libs. You see, I installed Gentoo on Friday and when I emerged KDE, it
emerged KDE 3 by default. When two days later I decided that I wanted
KOffice (and this will be the case for a lot of Gentoo users), it emerged
Office 1.1.1 and the KDE 2 libs that it needed in order KOffice to run.

HOWEVER, because the KDE 2 was installed afterwards, the /etc/profile.env
was FIRST loading in its several KDE enviromental variables /usr/kde/3/bin
and /lib and *then* the /usr/kde/2/bin etc etc
Because of this, it resulted KDE 3 to think that its user-home directory is
the ~/.kde instead of the ~/.kde3 (which already existed btw before I
installed KOffice with the KDE 2 libs). So, we got KDE 3 to overwrite KDE
2's stuff under ~/.kde. Therefore, I couldn't run ANY of the KOffice
applications!!

Now, what of course I did, was to edit the /etc/profile.env and put the
variables in the right order. First load the KDE 2 paths, and then the KDE 3
ones. Then, I had to DELETE my ~/.kde directory and THEN run the
/usr/kde/2/kbuildsycoca script, which re-creates the MIME stuff under
~/.kde. Now, I had KOffice running. However, the KDE 3 applications were
going bezerk now. So, I had to reboot, so I could put things in a straight
order and have the KDE 2  and KDE 3 apps to use the right dirs. HOWEVER,
after I rebooted, the /etc/profile.env was REVERTED to its previous state,
before I edited it. WHY is that?? This way, I can never run KOffice and KDE
3 on the same time!!

Please find a fix for this, I bet a lot of gentoo users will get onto this
problem.

Thank you,
Eugenia

.