List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] GCC 3.0 use flag?
From:       "Preston A. Elder" <prez () _HOSTNAME_ ! 3jane ! net>
Date:       2002-03-27 9:32:25

Hi all,

What do you all think of adding a 'gcc3' USE flag.  This could be used
to activate special patches/flags that are only required on GCC 3.0 (and
above), and possibly break compilation by 2.95.3 if used.

More and more as I look at things, its getting necessary to know which
compiler will be building a package.  The example I can think of off the
top of my head, is that I'm creating an ebuild file for openoffice 641c
(currently only 641b is in the archive).

Openoffice has a configure flag, called --enable-gcc3, for when
compiling with the 3.0.x compiler suite.  Openoffice has moved to 3.0.x
for their linux builds as of 641c (641b I believe they still used
2.95.x).  I'm not even sure if it still compiles on 2.95.x, but it
should, however I would love to be able to give the option to compile
with either, and just set the flag if its gcc 3.0.x.

I could figure out the compiler version by doing:
    GCC_MAJOR=`gcc --version | cut -f1 -d.`
and then
    local myflags
    if [ $GCC_MAJOR == 3 ]; then
         myflags="--enable-gcc3"
    fi
then simply add $myflags to the configure options.

however the above seems like (and is) a hack.  Plus, when patches start
being made to fix code that wont compile on gcc 3.0.x (see my previous
email), we're going to NEED to know the gcc version in use.  Hense, I
would suggest a gcc3 use flag.  That, or there could be a default
veriable offered by portage which contains the GCC version (now THAT
would be cool, but not expected).

Anyway,

Comments? opinions?

--
PreZ
Systems Administrator

Goth Code '98:   tSKeba5qaSabsaaaGbaa75KAASWGuajmsvbieqcL4BaaLb3F4
                 nId5mefqmDjmmgm#haxthgzpj4GiysNkycSRGHabiabOkauNSW

GOTH.NET - http://www.goth.net
Free online resource for the gothic community.