List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] gentoolkit - python framework...
From:       Zach Forrest <zach () disinformation ! ca>
Date:       2002-02-27 23:55:53

Good afternoon.

In an endevour to become better aquainted with Python, I've written some
code* that may be of some use in writing tools for Gentoo. As an
example, I've rewritten qpkg to use the "framework" -- I used optik to
parse the commandline, so I had to simplify some of the option names,
but most of the functionality should still be there. (I should note that
the command for getting package info is a little slow at the moment. It
uses the EPackage class, derived from Package, which is able to provide
a great deal more info, but, of course, that info takes longer to parse
out of the ebuild file. It would probably be beneficial to write a
lighter weight class that does less work.) Most of the code is well
documented which should be helpful to Python beginners (like me).

Feedback is *very* welcome. It's also my first "real" attempt at
constructing regular expressions, so please be kind. I haven't packaged
this up yet, so you just need to unpack the archive wherever you like.

Regards,
Zach

* Just the other day, I looked through the portage code (something I
haven't done in quite some time) and some of the work I've done is
fairly similar -- almost the same in some places. But, as this was a
personal exercise, I enjoyed the journey. This is not to say that there
is nothing useful to be found.

["gentoolkit-0.1.tgz" (application/octet-stream)]