List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] qpkg
From:       Bart Verwilst <verwilst () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-01-13 18:02:59

Hi

That kind of search/find capabilities will be available in a very short
time in one of the next portage versions.. Currently, the app can be
obtained on http://www.gentoo.org/~verwilst, but it will be a part of
emerge in a matter of days i think.. The major version stuff will be
present in emerge as well (so for example qt-3 and qt-2 will be seen as
diff apps..)

Thanks

On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 19:01, Brent Cook wrote:
> I liked it too. Very useful for finding duplicate packages. Your bash
> style was also enlightening for me. I had no clue how to use colors until
> then.
>
> Perhaps, though, qpkg should not flag major revisions as duplicates.  For
> instance, qpkg flags the following packages as duplicates:
>
> x11-libs/qt-2.3.1
> x11-libs/qt-3.0.1
> media-libs/freetype-2.0.5-r1
> media-libs/freetype-1.3.1-r3
> sys-devel/automake-1.4_p5
> sys-devel/automake-1.4-r2
>
> The first two sets are not duplicates because they are incompatible major
> versions. The dbm libraries also have this issue (there are three major
> versions in common use, though I'm not sure what's included with gentoo.)
> I have no idea what to do about the last set - it's not possible to tell
> by the name which is more recent (I'm not sure how I got into this
> situation either!)
>
>  - Brent
>
> On 13 Jan 2002, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 16:46, John Stalker wrote:
> > > qpkg is quite useful.  Thanks, Vitaly.
> > Thanks, I'm glad you find it usefull.
> > I was waiting for more feedback :-)
> > Any one using it out there? HAve some comments?
> >
> > Regards,
> > 	/Vitaly.

Bart Verwilst
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team