List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] cosmetic texinfo error
From:       Daniel Robbins <drobbins () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2001-11-28 18:17:37

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:53:18AM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:

> Why has texinfo been incorporated into gcc?  It appears that gcc3+
> now goes out of its way not to clobber an already existing texinfo,
> so I would think we would want to keep a separate texinfo package.

The simple reason is this.  Texinfo is merged into the gcc ebuild because
gcc needs texinfo, and texinfo needs gcc.  It's simpler to compile them
as part of a single build process.  The error people are seeing will go
away as soon as a release a new Portage version.  The problem is that
Portage is not expecting sys-apps/texinfo to be a virtual package.

Best Regards,

--
Daniel Robbins                                  <drobbins@gentoo.org>
Chief Architect/President                       http://www.gentoo.org