List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] grub 0.90-r2 splash image
From:       "jano" <jano () portablehole ! net>
Date:       2001-10-31 14:11:01

I played with this the other day.  Here's what I found:

When you apply that grub-0.57-vga16 patch, and just compile, grub compiles
fine.  However, splashimage stuff isn't compiled in (grep the binary files
for splahsimage).  Well.. after looking at the code, seems like you need to
"#define VGA16" in the config.h.  HOWEVER, doing so causes the compile to
break :(

So here's how I got my splashimage to work:
downloaded redhat grub rpm, then
alien --to-tgz grub.rpm
unzippied the tgz in /tmp and copied the files over to where the grub ebuild
installed the files.  You have to remember to link menu.lst to grub.conf in
/boot/grub.

Make sure to reload grub (e.g. setup (hd0))