List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Boot failure
From:       Nathaniel Grady <nate () nutopia ! org>
Date:       2001-10-31 12:31:02

While I havn't done this since 1.0RC5 I believe it should still work ok. Try using a \
current slackware boot/root disk set - if memory serves they have support for \
reiserfs. Boot from the boot/root disks as usual, use fdisk to create a partition, \
format it, mount it, then extract the build tbz file onto that partition, then mount \
/proc /newpartition/proc -o bind and chroot /newpartition and you should be set... To \
get the tbz you may want to use the "network" root disk so you can access NFS or else \
i believe ftp was on the "color" root disk.

My method now is to have 2 partitions and just cycle back and forth. Install gentoo \
(or some other linux) on one partition, format the other partition, extract the \
latest gentoo build tarball onto that partition, mount proc on the new system and \
chroot to it. From there it's the same as off a cd ('cept you may want to mount the \
original partition under /mnt/oldgentoo and copy files from /etc/ rather than \
recreating them - but watch out for changes to the rc system and such if you do \
that). When you're ready to upgrade again you do the same thing with the partitions \
reversed. This has the distinct advantage that you *always* have a working system at \
any given point - you don't destroy the old system untill you're absolutly shure the \
new one works (or not at all if you have disk space to burn... I actually keep my \
mp3's on which ever partition i'm not using them and offload them to another computer \
during the upgrade since i can live w/o them). Very important if you screw someting \
up and have to write a paper then next day... <sarcasm>not that there is a reason I \
descided to follow this approach or anyting - d'oh</sarcasm>

hope I'm not forgetting someting important here :)

Good luck!

--Nate Grady