List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] dhcpcd doesn't work
From:       scott worley <folokai () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-09-30 12:03:01

On Sun, 2001-09-30 at 09:59, Gontran wrote:
> * scott worley (folokai@earthlink.net) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using rc6-r12.  Everything was OK while using ppp.  I got ADSL and
> > now cannot get dhcpcd to work.  Dhcpcd works every time when I boot into
> > SuSE 7.2.  I even downloaded dhcpcd from freshmeat, copied the tar ball
> > to the gentoo partition, rebooted gentoo and built dhcpcd.  Still
> > fails.  The only error message I get in syslog is:
> >
> > dhcpcd: timed out waiting for valid DHCP server response.
> >
> > I get this whether I run /etc/init.d/net.eth0-dhcp or
> > /sbin/dhcpcd -d eth0.
> >
> > The system is:
> > gentoo rc6-r12
> > vanilla kernel 2.4.10 with
> > 	CONFIG_PACKET=YES
> > 	CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=NO
> > 	CONFIG_NETLINK=NO
> > 	CONFIG_NETFILTER=YES
> > 	CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG=NO
> > 	CONFIG_FILTER=YES
> > 	CONFIG_UNIX=YES
> > 	CONFIG_INET=YES
> > 	CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=YES
> > 	CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=NO
> > 	CONFIG_IP_PNP=NO
> > 	CONFIG_NET_IPIP=m
> > 	CONFIG_NET_IPGRE=m
> > 	CONFIG_NET_IPGRE_BROADCAST=NO
> > 	CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=NO
> > 	CONFIG_INET_ECN=NO
> > 	CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=YES
>
> Scott,
>
> Perhaps you have firewall rules blocking that communication?
>

> Gontran

Gontran,

I checked the FW rules with iptables -L and the policy was ACCEPT on the
three default chains.  I have not configured any FW rules.

I brought up eth0 using /etc/init.d/net.eth0 script with the net
variables set to the last values of SuSE dhcpcd.  Get a "network is
unreachable" SIOCTL error.  I don't think its hardware because I'm using
the same HW with SuSE.  Of course, SuSE is using a modified 2.4.4
kernel, not 2.4.10.

scott