List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-dev] xfree86, dri, voodoo, glide, etc.]
From:       Joe <jjnievel () mtu ! edu>
Date:       2001-09-29 0:24:07

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xfree86, dri, voodoo, glide, etc.
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 02:17:01 -0400
From: Joe <jjnievel@mtu.edu>
To: tvon@etria.org

Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:
 > I think a "3dfx" USE variable might be a good idea.....so X
 > can compile properly when needed and such

yes; it doesn't seem that it would be too difficult.  I'm not sure if it
is necessarily a Gentoo thing though.  Even when i had the glide3 libs
installed, XF86 did not create the tdfx.so that it needed.  The host.def
file initially has a preprocessor-ish #if block around the #define for
the HASGLIDE.  It seems that this may have been the culprit, unless
emerging xfree didn't utilize the host.def at all.  Anyway, it does
sorta seem like something is amiss, and all that should be really needed
(ideally) is a little blurb in the installation guide: "before you
install xfree, install glide if you have a glide video card" or
something like that.  In any case, I believe this mini-howto should
contain sufficient information for setting everything up.  As it points
out, however, I do have a Voodoo4, so it might be a little different.
Notably, you might want to look for special options when you compile
glide.  With that I will tell you good luck, and make sure to let me
know how it turns out.

--joe

["3dfx_mini_HOWTO.txt" (text/plain)]

The Linux 3Dfx mini-HOWTO

Joe Nievelt (jjnievel@mtu.edu)

v1.0 September 29, 2001

This document was created to assist people in configuring and installing
the software necessary for running OpenGL programs with 3Dfx hardware
acceleration.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
Bernd Kreimeier (bk@gamers.org) for writing the Linux 3Dfx HOWTO which is
currently available at www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/3Dfx-HOWTO.html.
I am not
sure who owns the trademark rights to 3Dfx, and Voodoo Graphics (tm).  I
can only assume it is Nvidia.

REFERENCE SYSTEM
My pertinent computer specifications are as follows:

CPU:		AMD K7 @ 700MHz
Graphics Card:	Voodoo4 4500 AGP
OS:		Gentoo linux 1.0rc6 (www.gentoo.org)
X server:	XFree86 4.1.0

SOFTWARE
This HOWTO does list the locations (as of 9/29/2001) of all required files
and external information.  All of the source files are available from
Gentoo linux's portage tree.  I installed XFree86 4.1.0 before I did this,
so I still had the source files in /usr/portage/distfiles/.

KERNEL SETUP
The first step is to make sure that your kernel has the Direct Rendering
Infrastructure (DRI) module for your card (should be tdfx.o), and the agp
module if you have
an AGP card.  Linux kernel source can be obtained from www.kernel.org, and
instructions for compiling a kernel are given in the The Linux Kernel
HOWTO at www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html.  Instructions for
configuring LILO can be found in the LILO mini-HOWTO at
www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html.

GLIDE SETUP
Next, you need to install the Glide3 library.  Directions for obtaining,
compiling, and installing Glide3 can be found at
dri.sourceforge.net/doc/GlideVoodoo5.txt.  For cards other than Voodoo4/5,
you may need extra ./configure arguments.

There is another step which may be optional; I'm not sure.  I did install
glide-v5-1.0
before I did the next step.  There are glide-v5 rpm packages available at
rpmfind.net.

XFREE86 INSTALLATION
Now, you need to get the XFree86 4.1.0 source tarballs.  XF86 4.1.0 can
be obtained at www.xfree86.org, and comes in three parts.  As far as I
know, you only need the first tarball if you already have a working XF86
4.1.0 installation.  The second tarball is just fonts, and the third is
just printable documentation.

Once you've unpacked your source, it should all be in a directory named
xc (wherever you upacked it to).  You then need to copy the host.def file
from
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/bindist/*/ (depending on your
architecture)  to
xc/config/cf/host.def.  You then need to edit this file to make sure that
HASGLIDE is defined to YES.  I commented out the #if statements around it
in my host.def.  A sample host.def listing is given at
www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/DRIcomp8.html#18.

You then need to run "make World" and then "make install".  Of course, you
need to be root to run make install, so that the program will have
permission to copy the files where they're supposed to go.  It is
recommended that you dump the output of make World to a file a la "make
World >WORLD.LOG" so that you can check the progress if there are any
errors.  It is also possible to view the output by running tail
simultaneously by running "make World>WORLD.LOG & tail -f WORLD.LOG".
When you see the message telling you that make is done, you will have to
CTRL-C out of tail.

XFR86CONFIG SETUP
Next, you have to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  Note that this may
not be the file that XFree86 uses for Configuration (X will actually check
XF86Config-4 before it looks for XF86Config).  You can find the location
of your XF86Config file by checking the locations in the man pages for
XF86Config.  There are a few things which this file must contain.  First,
your video card driver must be "tdfx".  Note that the Graphics device
section may be confusing if you look around too much, but if this block is
there you should be fine:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Voodoo5"
	VendorName	"3dfx"
	Driver		"tdfx"
EndSection

Now you have to check and make sure that dri and glx are enabled in your
Module section.  By default, I believe xf86config enables dri, and
comments out glx.  In any case, you should have the following lines in
your "Module" section:

	Load	"dri"
	Load	"glx"

Lastly, you need to create the "DRI" section in your XF86Config file.  I
put mine right after the Module section, so it is next to the "Load dri"
line.  The DRI section should look like this:

Section "DRI"
#        Group DRIGroup
#        Mode 0660
	Mode 0666
EndSection

You can use the commented code if you want to give a single group
exclusive access to the DRI.

Sample XF86Config files can be found at dri.sourceforge.net/res.phtml.

OpenGL should now be hardware accelerated.

To verify this you can run glxinfo.  I do not believe that glxinfo comes
with any part of Gentoo linux, but can be found at
dri.sourceforge.net/res.phtml.