List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] give gentoo Linux
From:       Collins Richey <erichey2 () home ! com>
Date:       2001-05-28 7:55:02

I agree with the choice of Mandrake for a beginner.  Once you have that
under your belt, then you can start with gentoo.  With gentoo you get a
very basic linux system (non-gui) with internet capability.  On top of that
you can download and install packages from the gentoo portage system to add
gui capability (X, kde, gnome, xfce, etc.), print support(cups), etc.  This
takes a lot of time and patience and help from other more experienced
users.

If you are not comfortable with doing a lot of searches on your own for
howto instructions about individual packages, you won't like gentoo at all.
 If you are, you will find gentoo a wonderful learning experience.

--
Collins Richey
Denver area