List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] NIS woes.
From:       Ben Lutgens <blutgens () sistina ! com>
Date:       2001-04-22 21:25:01

Well, it seems that ypbind from portage does not want to play nicely with my
NIS server (which is a debian box) they are both ypbind-mt 1.7. I have portmap
running, and can ypcat all the maps, and can even ping my hosts based on NIS
hostmaps, but authentication is the problem. I believe it's got something to
do with pam. I've made my /etc/pam.d/login look identical to the one on my
debian boxes to no avail. I'm sure I've not overlooked anything, I got the +
entries in (double checked them to make sure they were correct and everything.

here's my pam.d/login

auth       requisite  pam_securetty.so
auth       required   pam_nologin.so
auth       required   pam_env.so
auth       required   pam_unix.so nullok
account    required   pam_unix.so
session    required   pam_unix.so
session    optional   pam_lastlog.so
session    optional   pam_motd.so
session    optional   pam_mail.so standard noenv
password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

I've double checked to make sure allthat stuff was there. I'm using shadow and
MD5 passwords on the NIS server. Has anyone been able to make this work?

--
Ben Lutgens		cell: 612.670.4789
Sistina Software Inc.	work: 612.379.3951