List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] more gnome-apps ebuild (and resend blufish ebuild)
From:       AGottinger () t-online ! de (Achim Gottinger)
Date:       2001-03-21 7:03:02

Philippe Namias wrote:

> > There could be a workaround. If we make packages for the env-files and
> > add these env packages to the build/runtime dependencies of all gnome
> > packages the problems should be solved.
>
> I agree but how we deal with multiple instance of gnome or kde
> Example i installed kde 2.1 so i got /opt/kde2.1 so i need to link all my
> apps to kde 2.1 (not 2.0 or 2.1.1), for gnome we didn't have this problem as
> we install all in /opt/gnome.
> So shall we putt something like a KDE_VER in the env, so when we compile a
> package we look at the actual version of kde and installing package in that
> direcory?

Currently I use the version number for kde because they release all the
major packages under the same
release number. I found it comfortable using kde2 and kde2.1_beta2 by
using eighter "kde2" or "kde21" in
~/.wm.

In other kde packages I used the $KDEDIR env variable (set by 90kde).
I think we should continue using the version number in the dir name but
maybe we can add a symlinj to /opt/kde2.

> > But all the dependencies of
> > packages not installing into /usr and depending on an environment coming
> > from one of the /etc/env.d/ files
> > (beside 00basic) must be updated.
>
> Should we also make the gnome env file available if we are installing just a
> gnome-base stuff (gnome-libs oaf) sometimes required by other application but
> without all the gnome stuff needed

Because gnome-libs and oaf depend on gnome-env the gnome-env file is
automatic available.

> Today they have released gnome-1.4 RC1:)

Should we wait for 1.4 final? (or 1.4.1 :-) )

achim~