List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] doing away with gnome-libs
From:       <drobbins () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2001-03-17 20:38:02

Hi All,

I think that we need to eliminate gnome-libs and move all of its contents to
other *-libs directories.  The reason?  The existence of gnome-libs creates
lots of problems for other non-gnome programs that use these libraries.  For
example, I'm trying to install libxslt on the server, which lives in
gnome-libs.  The problem is that it installs itself into /opt/gnome/libs.
However, since I don't have gnome on my server, the libraries and binaries
aren't found by other programs.  To eliminate problems like this, I think we
should:

1. remove gnome-libs
2. create new categories as Achim suggests (ml/markup-libs, etc)
3. move the contents of gnome-libs to other *-libs categories
4. ensure that these libraries install into /usr/lib --
	if they depend on X, /usr/X11R6/lib
5. ensure that gnome finds and links to the libraries in these
	new locations.

And, I think it would be best if we avoid storing libraries in /opt/gnome/lib
and /opt/kde/lib unless they *absolutely, positively* will never be used for
anything but a KDE or GNOME app.  If there is even a slight possibility that
they could be used for a non-GNOME or non-KDE app, they should be stored in
/usr/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib to allow for maximum flexibility on non-KDE and
GNOME systems.

Best Regards,

--
Daniel Robbins					<drobbins@gentoo.org>