List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] added Gentoo-HOWTO
From:       AGottinger () t-online ! de (Achim Gottinger)
Date:       2001-02-22 15:02:02

Pete Gavin wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 06:03:52PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
> > sys-build is no longer used instead the packages listed in
> > current-packages.build are used together with the USE flags
> > "build" and "build-static".
>
> Ok, I've removed the reference to sys-build.
>

> > I don't think it is neccesary to add -gentoo to our patches.
> > Sometimes it is better to store patches without the ${PV} because
> > the same patch can be used for different versions.
> > Sometimes it is better to store patches in files/${PV} to keep the list
> > in files small.
>
> Hmm... Yeah, I guess the -gentoo isn't entirely necessary, but in
> certain cases, like when we update a kernel to a new version by using
> a patch (which would simply be called something like linux-2.4.1.diff)
> it *would* be necessary, and always using -gentoo would let others
> know that the diff contains *our* modifications to the source tree,
> instead of modifications we got somewhere else. And yes, if we have
> alot of files that go with an ebuild, we should put them in
> files/${PV}. I'll add that in to the howto. I think, though, that
> patches should not be used between multiple versions of an ebuild,
> because if they were, any changes/fixes that are made in the patch
> would automatically be back-ported to previous versions of the
> package. This totally defeats the purpose of having multiple revisions
> of a package.
>

> > How about creating a new package in app-doc and place the Gentoo-HOWTO
> > in there.
> >
> > I want to make a doc for the USE variables and this can be placed there
> > too.
> >
> > Daniel,
> >
> > What do you think about using docbook for these docs. The sgml-tools
> > should work quite well and we can produce the following output formates:
> > dvi html man pdf ps rtf tex texi txt.
> > We can add our own html-backend or an xml backend that can be used
> > for xslt transformation.
> >

> I know next to nothing about docbook/sgml/etc. Does anyone know a good
> place to start learning about this?

If you want to convert a docbook style sgml file to html you must first
generate a global catalog.

you can do this the following way:

find /usr/share/sgml -name "catalog" -exec install-catalog -a catalog {}
\;

copy that catalog to /usr/share/sgml.

Now you can try

docbook2html [docbook sgml]

The other backends do not seem to work yet.

If you want to use emacs psgml mode you must export

SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/usr/share/sgml/catalog

I will make a package for psgml tomorrow. Additionaly I will try to get
the other backends working.

achim~