List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] prozilla instead of wget for fetch
From:       320095285153-0001 () t-online ! de (Achim Gottinger)
Date:       2001-02-21 8:34:01

Hi devs,

Today I tested a new download tool as a replacement for wget.

It's called prozilla and has buildin support for finding the fastest
localtion by querying an ftpsearch host and pinging all mirrors.
It makes multiple connections to the server and downloads files in
portions which should be faster than a single connection.

I think it would be a good idea to use it as a default.
I have not tested if it supports PROXY's.

If you want to test it add this line to /etc/make.conf

FETCHCOMMAND="( cd \${DISTDIR};/usr/bin/proz --no-getc --ftpsearch \${x}
)"

replace --ftpsearch with --no-search if you don't want to use the
ftpsearch feature.

PS: packages is in net-www/prozilla

achim~