List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] GRUB stage1 file not found
From:       "Knut Feiert" <Knut.Feiert () epost ! de>
Date:       2001-01-31 23:16:01

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:19:47 -0700, drobbins@gentoo.org wrote:

>To solve the kemap problem, before you begin you should type:
>
># loadkeys de-latin1-nodeadkeys
>
>I need to add this to the install guide.

Doing this after the command env-update in step 4
gives me back my keyboard.

>As for the GRUB problem, I think you are specifying the wrong root and boot
>partitions.  GRUB's "root partition" is our "boot partition".
>
>Try this in grub:
>
>grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
>
>GRUB should then tell you what partitions it found stage1 on.  This should
>be the partition you specify in the grub "root" command.  I hope that helps.

GRUB tells me (hd0,11) and after reading the install guide more
carefully I only can agree!

But after the command root (hd0,11) neither "find" nor "setup" can
find stage1 any more.

Could it be a problem that fdisk does not write the partition records
in disk order? I have split a former linux partition (hda8) in boot and
root
and left the swap (hda9) and ended up with boot as hda12, root as
hda13,
and swap as hda8.

Knut