List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] new to Gentoo
From:       <drobbins () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2001-01-31 12:02:01

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 06:08:58PM -0000, Sean Cull wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I had a few questions.... I have a fairly good working knowledge of Linux
> (the basics anyway), setting up mail, X, etc. But I was curoius, can anyone
> reccomend any good books? Any particular book that would be better to learn
> some of the more advanced stuff? Reccomendations would be appreciated.
>
> Also, when I'm booting Gentoo... I installed the ISO, followed all the
> instructions on the website, but when Grub tries to boot, I end up at a Grub
> prompt. However, I am able to boot if I manually type the following lines
> below, the system boots fine. I'm just not sure where I went wrong with the
> configuration of the Grub menu file.
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3
>

> I'm sorry if this is the wrong list to be posting in, but I figured it
> definately wouldn't be wanted in gentoo-announce. =)

This is the right list to post on... it's where all the developers who can
answer your questions hang out :)

Make sure that your menu.lst file is in the right place.  If you mount your
boot partition at /boot, then the file should be located at
/boot/boot/grub/menu.lst.  The menu.lst file *does* need to be on your boot
partition (hda1), and shouldn't be on your root partition (hda3).
Maybe you created /boot/boot/grub/menu.lst on hda3 by mistake?  Or maybe
you called it menu."one"st instead of menu."el"st?

Best Regards,

--
Daniel Robbins					<drobbins@gentoo.org>
President/CEO					http://www.gentoo.org