List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] first rc4 pre2 installation guide problem
From:       <drobbins () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2001-01-30 11:19:01

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 12:03:31AM -0500, Dave Bresson wrote:

> Ok, thanks to the new guide that's up, i now know the proper options for
> my /boot partition.  However, there seems to be some sort of problem going
> on with the directions in the guide, specifically with the configuring the
> settings section.  Right after it says to do a 'chroot /mnt/gentoo' you're
> to perform the 'env-update' command.  When running 'env-update' i get a
> "Error: /mnt/gentoo does not exist!" or some such error.  This of course makes
> sense, since that dir is now the root directory, however something tells
> me that this *isn't* the way the command is supposed to work (i think).
> Is it supposed to do this?  And of course, exiting out of the chroot'ed
> shell to run 'env-update' doesn't work b/c then it can't even find the
> command.  I've also looked at the python code for env-update in
> /usr/sbin/env-update, however i haven't been able to come up with a
> solution to this problem.  Any ideas?

You'll notice that the new install guide does not mention setting the $ROOT
environment variable.  You're having a problem because you setting $ROOT,
which is no longer required with the new install method.

just "unset ROOT" after chroot, and env-update will work.

Best Regards,

--
Daniel Robbins					<drobbins@gentoo.org>
President/CEO					http://www.gentoo.org