List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] 2 bugs and a bit
From:       320095285153-0001 () t-online ! de (Achim Gottinger)
Date:       2001-01-30 4:35:02

Andreas Schweitzer wrote:

> Hi,
> I have 2 more glitches to report :-)
> 1 - /var/tmp was missing on my rc4_pre2
> 2 - xfree4 depends on freetype (xterm is linked against it)

True, xfree4.0.2 supports antialiased fonts and I did not use the
freetype2 included in xfree becuase we already had a package
for that.

> And now the 'bit' : I have a hard time getting sound to work.
> But I guess that may not be the most important :-)
> I have a SoundBlaster AWE64 card and I'm new to ALSA.
> I guess the first thing that  should be generic is to
> put the sound devices in /etc/devfs.conf or to run
> 'snddevices' during setup.
> Or am I completely wrong there ?
> /proc/asound/* does tell me quite a bit about my soundcard, but
> the ALSA tools won't talk to it. I don't really want
> you to bother with my problem, but I think there is
> something generic - like I the correct setup of /dev/

Yes ALSA support needs to be improved.
Here is what I use together with devfs to get alsa running.

/etc/modules.conf
-------------------------------
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ens1371
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0666
snd_device_gid=0 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-ens1371 snd_inde=0 snd_id=CARD_0
Replace snd-card-ens1371 with your driver and it should work.
Copy /etc/modules.conf to /etc/modules/2.4.1-pre8

Add this to
/etc/rc.d/config/modules
snd-card-ens1371
snd-pcm-oss