List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-build
From:       320095285153-0001 () t-online ! de (Achim Gottinger)
Date:       2001-01-27 14:27:02

drobbins@gentoo.org wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:57:23PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
> > >
> > >         # the i486, i586 and i686 build packages contain gcc and binutils
> > >         # compiled for their respective targets... question, is this necessary
> > >         # since you can access these sub-architectures with compile-time switches.
> > >         # this just changes the name of /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu, or
> > >         # are there more extensive changes besides this?  How about binutils?
> > >         # If there are no differences in generated code, we can have a single
> > >         # build.tbz2 instead of three.
>
> > Hmm, maybe we can use i486 as build-host and make cross-compilers/binutils
> > for all other targets. But I prefere a solution without crocc-compilers that
> > works without tricks.
>
> When you say "all other targets", are you talking about
> i386,486,pentium,pentiumpro and K6?  If so, a basic i486 build.tbz2 will work.
> If the user sets the CHOST in /etc/make.conf to i686-pc-linux-gnu before
> building the system, then the system should compile an i686 gcc and i686
> binutils, correct?  I don't think you'd need a cross-compiler, would you?
> We're not talking about different architectures here -- just different CPU
> variations.
>
> > > Again, why are these static?  I'm guessing so that you don't need to include
> > > certain libraries?
>
> > Because I want to use this set of packages for porting and for building
> > gentoo on other linux-distros. And this is the simplest way
>
> OK; I guess dynamic libraries could cause some problems on some other distros.
> Though I haven't had problems chrooting to a location with shared libraries before,
> even if I'm switching between two libc's.

I checked dependencies of sys-build packages and detected that no other packages are
required to provide the shared libraries needed. The only packages that require other
libs are bash and spython but these are both statical linked in sys-apps/sys-devel so no
problem.

I will make the -static link flag optional controllable via USE sys-build-static

achim~