List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Re: has the sun set ?
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2015-06-04 3:18:34

Jonathan Callen posted on Wed, 03 Jun 2015 20:45:17 -0400 as excerpted:

> On 2015-06-03 12:08, Duncan wrote:

>> It's even possible to get the ebuild out of a binpkg if necessary --
>> open the binpkg in a text-editor, and while the first part will be a
>> bunch of compressed garbage, near the end you'll find the ebuild in
>> plain-text, followed by some additional metadata.  You can then delete
>> the stuff before and after the ebuild in the editor (don't save it back
>> to the original binpkg file) and save the remaining ebuild to a normal
>> ebuild file.
>>

> An easier method, if you have portage-utils installed, is to use `qtbz2
> -s package-ver.tbz2` to split the .tbz2 binpkg into a .tar.bz2 with the
> contents and a .xpak with the metadata, then use `qxpak -x
> package-ver.xpak package-ver.ebuild` to extract just the ebuild from the
> xpak.

I guess "easier" is defined by the person doing it. =:^)

Obviously, were I doing it frequently it'd be worth scripting your
commands, thus avoiding both having to remember the specific command
details /and/ the manual editing, but I don't end up doing it enough to
remember the commands and their options or to be worth scripting it, and
absent a script supplying the specific command and options I need, in the
time it would take me to look it up, type them in, and verify correctness
before actually hitting enter, I can edit the file manually and be on to
something else.

But thanks.  TIMTOWTDI (common perl camp abbreviation: there is more than
one way to do it), and the more options posted, the easier it should be
to find something that works best for them. =:^)