List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: *kit free desktop profile
From:       Dominique Michel <dominique.michel () vtxnet ! ch>
Date:       2012-10-23 17:36:37

Le Sun, 21 Oct 2012 08:02:47 +0000 (UTC),
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> a écrit :

> Alex Efros posted on Sat, 20 Oct 2012 23:07:40 +0300 as excerpted:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 08:07:31PM +0200, Dominique Michel wrote:
> >>     USE="-consolekit -policykit -udisks -upower"
> >
> > I'm using fluxbox, but, of course, I need ability to run gnome and
> > kde applications (but not gnome/kde itself). Last time I tried to
> > switch off these USE-flags it doesn't work. Best I got is:
> >
> > /etc/make.conf:
> >     USE="${USE} -policykit -upower"
> > /etc/portage/package.use
> >     # required by udisks
> >     sys-fs/udev extras gudev hwdb
> >     # required by polkit, consolekit
> >     sys-auth/pambase consolekit
> >     # required by polkit, udisks, clementine
> >     sys-auth/consolekit policykit
>
> FWIW, as my gentoo experience lengthens, I've gotten *MUCH* tighter
> with my installed-packages and USE flags policy.
>
> I run a kde desktop, but have this in my global USE file[1]:
>
> -consolekit -policykit -udisks -udisks2 -upower
>
> Also given my kde4 desktop it's worth noting:
>
> -raptor -redland -semantic-desktop -virtuoso
>
> (Of course that means no kdepim packages at all.  I got fed up with
> akonadi problems and switched to the gtk-based claws-mail after
> nearly a decade on kmail!  That allowed me to kill kmail and akonadi,
> which allowed me to kill semantic-desktop for all of kde, which
> allowed me to kill rasqal, redland, virtuoso, soprano...  I did it
> mainly to get rid of akonadi and the problems it brought, but WOW,
> the kde4 desktop was faster without all that extra bloatware!

Wow!

> And I
> had already turned off nepomuk and strigi too, and it was STILL
> dramatically faster when kde was built without that junk!  Sort of
> reminds me of all those MSWormOS users and how surprised they often
> are to learn how badly the malware was affecting system performance
> once it's cleaned up.  Yes, I DID just compare the semantic-desktop
> crap to malware!)
>

> But: USE=udev
>
> No udisks (1 or 2), upower, consolekit or policykit installed.

So, it is place for 2 *kit free profiles: desktop/nokit and
desktop/kde/nokit

Anyway, I will incorporate them into the proaudio overlay. They will
have some added USE flags, like jack, that correspond with the
goal of this overlay: audio pro. In consequence, I will use something
like desktop/proaudio and desktop/proaudio-kde.

--
"We have the heroes we deserve."