List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset: qt-meta-3.3.8b-r2 build failure
From:       "E. Liddell" <ejlddll () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-11 23:21:25

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:28:06 -0700
"V. Ram" <vramml0@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Also, independently, it looks like there are no ebuilds for hal any more
> even though the kde-sunset packages look for the hal USE flag.  I was
> never a big fan of hal, but automounting of media under KDE 3.5 is still
> nice to have, and as I understand it, without hal, that will no longer
> occur.  Any recommendations on this issue as well?

Have you tried the attic? \
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/hal/?hideattic=0 \
should have all the old main-tree ebuilds and patches for hal. Dunno what the result \
of installing it will be, though--I've never used an automounter with my system, so I \
was quite happy to kick hal to the curb even though I'm still using KDE 3.5.

Alternatively, someone posted a patch to the Trinity dev ML about a month ago
that was supposed to enable media detection without hal. It supposedly applies
to vanilla KDE 3.5.10 just fine, but I have not used it and so can't confirm
whether or not it works.