List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE3 overlay message.
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-02 13:16:04

Duncan wrote:
> Dale posted on Sun, 02 Oct 2011 06:49:04 -0500 as excerpted:
>
>> I know the KDE3 folks subscribe here and wanted to let you know about
>> this.  I got this after I done my sync:
>>
>> Building database (/var/cache/eix) ..
>> [1] "kde-sunset" /var/lib/layman/kde-sunset (cache:
>> parse|ebuild*#metadata-flat#assign)
>>        Reading category  17|155 ( 10%): app-misc .. *
>>    *
>> "/var/lib/layman/kde-sunset/app-misc/releaseforge/
> releaseforge-1.3.ebuild":
>>    * Deprecation Warning: Usage of distutils.eclass in packages not
>> supporting installation
>>    * for multiple Python ABIs in EAPI<=2 is deprecated and will be
>> banned on 2011-06-01.
> The short version of the story is that there have been some changes and
> that message can be ignored, for now.
>
> The longer version... well, let's say that a certain former gentoo/python
> project dev is just that, former, and that the disruptively high rate of
> python eclass code churn and function deprecation and removal has slowed
> WAAAYYY down.  It'll probably pick back up slightly as others pick up the
> pieces and development gets back to normal, but it should remain far more
> modest and less disruptive than it was, as that wasn't normal (or, it
> turns out, acceptable for the rest of gentoo) either.
>
> Similarly, it's rather unlikely that the methods used to stabilize
> python-3 will be repeated any time soon.  (Heh, at least they didn't move
> python-2 out of the tree to a python-sunset overlay... but the
> circumstances there are quite different as unlike kde/qt, upstream python
> continues to support python-2, and unlike python, not so much of the rest
> of the tree is so widely affected by kde.  The kde thing was more
> upstream policy, the python thing more a gentoo-only thing.)
>
> That's why the named date has passed without any action, but the warning
> remains.  Everything's more or less frozen in place as the folks picking
> up the pieces assess the situation and decide where to go from here.
> > From what I've read, many of the changes have already been done in the
> python overlay, and they have to figure out whether to move them to the
> tree, but slower, or to revert them in the python overlay, or if a
> different solution needs to be worked out and tested in the python
> overlay, before moving to the tree.
>
> (FWIW, I believe said developer remains active in the python overlay,
> helping to straighten things out or at least explain where he was going
> with the changes so what to do with them can be better worked out, and he
> does still post to gentoo-dev occasionally, of course now without a gentoo
> address, so he's still active in the community and I guess helping to
> pick up the pieces.  What happens from here on out, however, remains to
> be seen.  Maybe he'll return as a dev, having learned his lesson, perhaps
> he's not even interested, but at least he's still around, so AFAIK
> there's still some bridges remaining unburned.)

> [...]

This is good.  I just didn't want to not post and it cause someone
problems with say a new install.  I posted issues I had with a new
install of KDE3 a while back too.  I just wanted to post in case someone
was unaware of the issues I ran into.  They could have been caused by me
but they could have been something else too.  I posted to let some dev
that knows more than me can sort it out.

At least I know all is well.  Sounds like python 3 is taking a bit of a
nap.

Dale

:-)  :-)