List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2?
From:       Alex Schuster <wonko () wonkology ! org>
Date:       2011-04-14 0:33:30

Duncan wrote:

> Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:35:30 +0200 as excerpted:
> > Marián Kyral writes:
> >> I'm using the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"
> >> portage option to ignore missing files. This is enough for me.
> >
> > Not for me. I had tried the world update this night, but after a few
> > packages (kde-env being the only KDE4-one) it failed to download
> > oxygen- icons, and was unable to resume. Some of the packages that
> > have updates pending are ffmpeg or glib, I don't understand why
> > missing KDE4 stuff prevents their update.
>
> Do you have FEATURES=parallel-fetch enabled?  Either that, or doing an
> emerge --upgrade --fetchonly --keep-going (with --newuse --deep
> --whatever as you normally do it) should help with that.

Huh? Yes, parallel-fetch is enabled. But I do not see how this would change
a thing?

> For ffmpeg, etc, it may be that they're inter-related to the kde
> dependencies in such a way that they don't want to update by themselves,
> however.

No, they were updated in that night's world update, after the KDE 4.6.2
update had been masked.

> What I often do here when there's a pending kde update, even when it's
> available, is do an emerge --update --pretend (--newuse/deep...whatever)
> piped to grep -v kde.  That gives me a list of all the NON-KDE things to
> upgrade, (grep's -v reverses the grep so it lists anything WITHOUT the
> grepped term), and I'll then upgrade them first, manually.

So do I, though I usually start with eix -Iu --only-names. Well, in fact it
was more like eix -I | grep '^\[U', until someone recently posted the
--only-names option for eix. But I realize this method has a problem, it
also finds stuff with different slots. This does the trick:
UPGRADE_TO_HIGHEST_SLOT=false eix -I | grep '^\[U'

Hmmmm.

Now that I look at the output I find some stuff that has updates pending,
but emerge -DautvNj --with-bdeps=y @world does not pick them up. And
depclean does not want to remove them.
An example is dev-lang/spidermonkey, needed by www-client/elinks (with the
javascript USE flag being set).

And yet another strangeness: emerge -DautvNj @system wants to install
virtual/mta (as a dependency of app-crypt/gnupg), emerge -DautvNj @world
does not.