List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] No /usr/bin/kxkb in KDE 4.5
From:       Jens Rutschmann <Jens.Rutschmann () gmx ! info>
Date:       2010-10-09 22:58:04

Am 08.10.2010 21:37 schrieb Paul Hartman:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Jens Rutschmann
> <Jens.Rutschmann@gmx.info>  wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently updated to KDE 4.5 (from 3.5.10) and now I'm facing several small
> > problems while trying to get my environment back.
> >
> > One problem seems to be that /usr/bin/kxkb is no longer installed with the
> > systemsettings package. And I cannot select "evdev-driven keyboard" in the
> > keyboard layout settings in systemsettings / kcontrol.
> >
> > Also the "keyboard service" or whatever it is called in english cannot be
> > started in the "system services" section. When I try to start it manually it
> > complains about "kxkb" being missing.
> >
> > Does anyone know what package contains kxkb in 4.5 ? On another machine I
> > still have have 4.4 installed and there it is installed with the
> > systemsettings package.
>
> Starting with KDE 4.5.0 "keyboard"&  "kxkb" modules were merged into a
> new kcm_keyboard service. It is part of kde-base/systemsettings
>
> From the readme "This is new project to replace keyboard (kcmmisc) and
> kxkb to manage keyboard harware configuration and layouts."
>
> Sorry I don't have any more info than that.

Well it helped anyway. When I was looking for this readme you mentioned I had a look \
at the source code and found that  ~/.Xmodmap was parsed but /etc/X11/Xmodmap was \
not. Since I only had a script in KDE's autostart directory that applied the system \
Xmodmap, everytime I suspended the  machine the modifications were gone after resume \
(input hotplug issue I guess). Now I copied the the file into my home  folder and it \
is applying it automatically during resume.

Now I only wonder why that keyboard layout list doesn't contain the "Evdev driven \
keyboard" entry.

Btw. I updated KDE to 4.5.2 today and now KDE's "keyboard service" is runnung ...

So thanks again!
Jens