List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] How to reinstall kde-meta[RESOLVED]
From:       Jakob Kummerow <jakob.kummerow () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-20 14:34:55

> I used the following code and it worked fine.
> for i in $(qlist -C -I kde-base/);do emerge   =$i-4.5.1;done

Yes, this works, but it means that you now have all individual KDE
packages installed explicitly (i.e., not just as dependencies of
kde-meta). This works fine for now, but quite possibly could lead to
weird problems when updating to the next major version, where some of
the packages might be removed or renamed.
Fix: edit your /var/lib/portage/world file, removing all
"kde-base/<whatever>" lines (except kde-base/kde-meta of course).
Please be careful not to mess up your world file.

And next time, call emerge with "--oneshot" or "-1" to prevent this
from happening, as in:
for i in $(qlist -C -I kde-base/);do emerge  --oneshot =$i-4.5.1;done

Regards,
Jakob