List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Question : How to set per-device mouse
From:       Mickael Chazaux <mickael.chazaux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-01 18:56:23

Hi,

I understood what went wrong.

>> So I tried to put this in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/bt-mouse-speed.fdi :
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>>   <device>
>>         <match key="info.product" string="Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse">
>>                <merge key="input.x11_options.Sensitivity"
>> type="string">0.1</merge>
>>         </match>
>>     </match>
>>   </device>
>> </deviceinfo>

This XML fragment is not valid : there is an extra </match>. That's
why HAL did not use it and drove me nuts for hours. FDI files may be
validated against /usr/share/hal/fdi/fdi.dtd

> Note that the hal default is evdev for both mice and keyboards.  See that
> input.x11_driver parameter?  evdev.  Yet you don't say anything about
> whether evdev has that same sensitivity parameter.

I did not realized until your last message that data put in fdi files
is reported by lshal... It helps a lot!

> Checking the evdev manpage, I don't see anything like that, BUT...
>
> Checking the xorg.conf manpage, InputDevice section, I see the
> "ConstantDeceleration" option.  That looks to be what you want.

Yes ! ;-)

> Then, as you were already doing above, you can use an x11_options based
> key in your *.fdi.

That's what I did, and it works well. Here is the fdi file I finally wrote :

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
        <match key="info.product" contains="Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse">
               <merge key="input.x11_options.ConstantDeceleration"
type="string">2</merge>
               <merge key="input.x11_options.AccelerationProfile"
type="string">-1</merge>
        </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Trap : Mouse speed decreases when ConstantDeceleration increases.

Thank you for your useful and fast reply,

Mickael