List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Monthly Meeting of the Gentoo Qt and KDE teams - 20091022 summary
From:       Ben de Groot <yngwin () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2009-10-22 22:11:03

Attached the summary of the latest meeting.

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

["qt-kde-teams-meeting-20091022.rst" (text/plain)]

 Monthly Meeting of the Gentoo Qt and KDE teams - 20091022 summary

Present: ayoy, hwoarang, spatz, tampakrap, wired, yngwin, alexxy, patrick,
         sping, [Pesa, reavertm, ssuominen, EvaSDK, comawhite, Civil]
Delayed: abcd
Absent: carlo, cryos, dagger, deathwing00, jmbsvicetto, keytoaster, lxnay,
        scarabeus

On hwoarang's request we started with Qt topics.

Qt topics
=========

3. Qt own subproject page under http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/

    To underline that Qt is not just KDE, and as we have a separate team now,
    we decided to request the desktop project lead to have Qt as a separate
    subproject with our own page. Voted: 3 for, 2 against, 1 abstained.

4. Policy regarding pre-releases (beta/rc)

    There are some developers who want Qt betas and RCs in the portage tree,
    but hardmasked, while others prefer to keep them in the qting-edge overlay.
    Voted: 4 overlay, 2 tree.

5. Proposition to return to monolithic Qt ebuild

    There was discussion on the pros and contras of monolithic vs. split Qt
    ebuilds. The problems with the current split setup are mostly because of
    shortcomings of portage. We agreed to continue the discussion on the ML
    and invite the portage team to it.

6. Schedule removal old Qt versions

    The Qt team wants to remove old qt:4 versions, which at this point means
    all 4.4.2 and 4.5.1 ebuilds. The most serious issue holding is back is
    the ppc64 arch team, which has not yet marked stable any version newer
    than 4.4.2. For now, we will remove all keywords but ppc64 from 4.4.2, and
    all but hppa from 4.5.1, as we cannot guarantee the security status of
    those old versions. We will send a message to the dev ML to bring up this
    issue and request ppc64 to be marked an experimental arch if they cannot
    mark 4.5.2 stable shortly.

    NB: In passing, it was noted that ayoy cleaned up the tree from any residue
    of dependencies on qt:4 meta package and QT_BUILT_WITH_USE_CHECK usage.
    We will edit the eclass to die on any further QT_BUILT_WITH_USE_CHECK usage
    to make sure it is fully obsoleted.

KDE topics
==========

1. Proposition to split desktop profile to: KDE, Gnome, (and maybe some
others).

    As most desktop users only want Gnome or KDE, not both, the current
    desktop profile doesn't work well for them. It was proposed to create
    separate profiles for kde and gnome, which would both inherit from a
    parent base desktop profile. Maybe an additional full desktop profile
    which inherits both kde and gnome could be created to satisfy those users
    who install both (those who are actually served with the current desktop
    profile). It was decided that reavertm would bring this proposal to the
    dev ML for wider discussion.

2. Discussion of KDE4 split ebuild policy. I think we need to sanitize it a
bit (more functional/application approach) - especially regarding kdepim,
kdebase-workspace.

    Refactoring some of the new split ebuilds could be beneficial. It was
    requested that this topic would be further discussed on the kde mail
    alias, as several team members were absent.

Last minute addition:

7. Some arches haven't keyworded kde 4.3 apps

    There isn't much that can be done at this point, except pinging those
    arch teams to move on this.