List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] purpose of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
From:       Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm () poczta ! fm>
Date:       2009-05-29 21:08:48

On Wednesday 20 of May 2009 08:39:35 Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> > 090520 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> >> Reporter of https://bugs.gentoo.org/270250 suggests (via his patch)
> >> that  /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/  should be utilized like "autorun"
> >> and that  xinitrc.d/*  should be sourced by startkde script
> >> (and presumably any other DE initialization script as well).
>
> AFAIK /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ works like this already.

Only in KDE3 session so far (which is pretty useless for it - it does know
nothing about dbus or consolekit).
If it's about to be executed - is there any corresponding "cleanup" directory?
You know:
- XDG has it's ${XDG_CONFIG_DIRS}/{startup,shutdown}
- KDE has its own private ${KDEDIR}/{env,shutdown}
- there is possibility to use ${KDEDIR}/etc/xdg/{startup,shutdown} as well
(it's not being used yet - maybe we should migrate to XDG completely for KDE -
it's an easy change)

So I guess we already have enough of "autostart" locations - so imho NO
desktop environment should even try to touch xinitrc.d - it belongs to xinit
(even if it's installed by dbus) and xinit should do something with this if it
cares (so far it doesn't).
Therefore I'm removing sourcing of xinitrc.d/* from all startkde scripts
(change will be in overlay for some time).

--
regards
MM