List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] IM Software
From:       Mikko Husari <husku () husku ! net>
Date:       2008-03-13 9:54:40

sean wrote:
> I am still using gaim, not moved over to what appears their new name
> Pidgin so I thought I would ask here for recommendations.
>
> I like the way gaim works, but I was wondering is there a package like
> gaim, and in portage that would also include some sort of video
> capabilities as well, and be cross platform?
>
> 				Thanks
> 				Sean

Well, when my gf went to Netherlands for 3 months we bought webcams and
headsets. (she uses windows and i use gentoo). We tried to use Kopete +
MSN messenger for video conferensing but that does not work well with
NAT and firewalls so we had to bury that option, after a few days of
googling around we found the 'best solution (imho)' to be wengophone. It
is an voip-software that handles multiple im-protocols and has its own
protocol for im (i think it only supports audio/video on its own
protocol, so you both need to use it). the video/audio quality was
actually quite excellent and we have been happily using it for a while.
So, i would recommend to test that even though that it is masked.
forums.gentoo.org also has few threads about it.

*  net-voip/wengophone [ Masked ]
       Latest version available: 2.2
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of files: 0 kB
       Homepage:      http://www.openwengo.org/
protocol
       License:       GPL-2

*  net-voip/wengophone-bin [ Masked ]
       Latest version available: 2.1.2
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of files: 24,207 kB
       Homepage:      http://www.openwengo.org/
protocol
       License:       GPL-2