List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: installation assistance
From:       "Justin Denick" <justin.denick () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-26 13:53:54

No need to pay for anything, that's why we use Linux.

I hate to be the one who says this but...

Read the gentoo install guide and follow it to the tee.

This is the only way to truly understand what gentoo is and why we use it.

Some of us have a hidden pension for the road-less-traveled;
Gentoo is Hard to set up, but a dream to maintain. Paying someone to do
the dirty work sort of takes away from the rest of us who (like me) spent
hours,
days, and even weeks, tweaking and tuning our boxes.

After a few times of doing it, installing gentoo becomes easier and easier.

Just a month ago I installed gentoo from within an existing ubuntu install
on a
home made server with full RAID 10 support, nic-bonding, PHP, apache,
Postgres.
And it only took 6 hours and 2 reboots. (one to boot the new kernel one more
because the kernel driver that supports the OS Drive,should not be a module
stored on the same Drive)

Two years ago, it took me 3 weeks, just to get Nvidia, and a desktop to
work.

Stick it out man, save your money for more memory.

--
In vino veritas.
        [In wine there is truth.]