List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Odd evolution crash
From:       Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo () fmp ! com>
Date:       2007-05-30 16:49:44

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 07:43 -0400, Randy Barlow wrote:
> Have you tried using mv to rename your evolution dot files to rule out
> whether it is a configuration issue?

I don't mess with .evolution!  The last time I tried this trick
evolution tried to recover and apparently wrote a bunch of of stuff to
the gconf registry, or somewhere, and I lost a _lot_ of data, including
all my address book, which fortunately I had laregely backed up to a
couple of LDAP servers.  When I restored the the old ~/.evolution tree
the lost data did _not_ come back.

> In terms of re-emerging something, I think you could use equery depgraph
> evolution to see what it depends on and poke through there.  You could
> also emerge -e evolution I *think*.

I may give this a try.

Evolution is the work of the Devil <grin>.  It's obviously a total dawg
of a program from a programmers perspective - full of potential bugs,
poorly designed data structures, etc.  On the other hand, there's no
other groupware client out there that can really match its features.
Thunderbird/Sunbird tries, but falls short.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "In an open world,    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    who needs Windows  |      available at