List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: Problem with keyboard in XFCE and Fluxbox
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2007-05-28 11:24:04

Peter Humphrey <prh@gotadsl.co.uk> posted
200705271118.55265.prh@gotadsl.co.uk, excerpted below, on  Sun, 27 May
2007 11:18:55 +0100:

> On Saturday 26 May 2007 13:29:34 Duncan wrote:
>
>> The | (vertical line) symbol is called a "pipe".
>
> ... in Unixy systems.

FWIW, it was used the same way (but to a far more limited extent) on
MSDOS, and AFAIK continues to be used that way in command prompt windows
even now (tho I've no direct experience beyond W98, as I decided it was
time to upgrade to Linux instead of XP, when I realized XP stood for
eXPrivacy, due to its anti-privacy functionality, among other things).
It was called a "pipe" there too, IIRC.