List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: Openssh really needed in desktop	profiles?
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2007-02-27 19:50:19

Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> posted
1172595296.8807.147.camel@inertia.twi-31o2.org, excerpted below, on  Tue,
27 Feb 2007 11:54:56 -0500:

[on profile multi-inheritance]

> Actually, it wouldn't be as long as you think, thanks to the "obsolete"
> profile that already exists.  Rather than the usual "two release"
> deprecation, where we only deprecate two releases back and older, we
> would deprecate *everything* prior to 2007.0 and remove them all on the
> same date, which would likely be 6 months or so after.  Remember that
> even the 2006.1 stable portage (2.1) had support for multi-inheritance,
> we just haven't gotten around to using it.

I can't complain about that! =8^)  Six months is fine by me.  Of course I
run all ~arch too, and am already running the amd64/2007.0 experimental
profile, so I'm not in the class such a delay is trying to help.

Anyway, nice to see it being tried.

BTW, is there any app in the tree that helps to trace down where a
particular setting is coming from?  We have emerge --info to list the
final outcome (minus package.* and the like), but it can be more work
than it should be to find where a specific setting is actually coming
from in the profile cascade, and multi-inheritance isn't likely to make
it any easier, so if there's such a utility, it'd sure come in handy!
Unfortunately, I've not come across one yet. =8^(