List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] how do I remove evolution from gnome?
From:       Peter Alfredsen <peteralf () tdcadsl ! dk>
Date:       2007-02-20 17:13:30

On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Ric de France wrote:
> Hi list(s),
>
> I was looking through the dynamic USE flag page (
> http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml ), and noticed there were some
> flags that brought in evolution support... but after realising I don't
> used evolution (as I am happy with thunderbird), I was wondering how
> to remove evolution from gnome once and for all...
>
> The solution would be something along the lines of:
>
> # USE="-something" emerge -DNuva world
> # emerge -P something_else
>
> That was I was hoping that if I was going to -DNuva on world again, it
> would not brought in again... I know I would be editing /etc/make.conf
> to make it more permanent than just doing it before the emerge world
> command...
>
> It's just that I'm having a hard time from figuring out which USE
> flags (if any) to remove to get rid of evolution...
>
> Any suggestions?

Here's the ebuilds that pull in evolution:
> loki office-fonts # dep -L -n evolution
> mail-client/evolution:
>         dev-dotnet/evolution-sharp-0.11.1    >=mail-client/evolution-2.2.0
>         gnome-base/gnome-2.14.2              >=mail-client/evolution-2.6.2
>         gnome-base/gnome-2.16.1              >=mail-client/evolution-2.8.1
>         gnome-base/gnome-2.16.2
> >=mail-client/evolution-2.8.2.1 gnome-extra/evolution-exchange-2.6.2-r1
> >=mail-client/evolution-2.5.90 gnome-extra/evolution-exchange-2.8.1
> >=mail-client/evolution-2.7 gnome-extra/evolution-exchange-2.8.2
> >=mail-client/evolution-2.7 gnome-extra/evolution-exchange-2.8.3
> >=mail-client/evolution-2.7 mail-client/ximian-connector-2.2.3
> >=mail-client/evolution-2.2

Since Gnome is the one pulling in evolution and since Gnome-light doesn't, I
would suggest you emerge -uDNav world, then emerge --depclean --ask then
revdep-rebuild to make sure that the later emerge --depclean shows only the
difference. If there are any packages in emerge --depclean that you want to
keep, emerge --noreplace them.
Then emerge -C gnome&&emerge gnome-light. emerge --depclean --pretend will
then show you the difference between the two gnomes. Note the packages you
want to *keep*. Then emerge --noreplace them to re-add them to your world
file. When you're done, evolution and any other packages you want to get rid
of should be the only packages shown in emerge --depclean --ask. Answer y.

--
/PA