List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] gnome-base/gnome for GNOME 2.15.90
From:       Daniel Gryniewicz <dang () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-07-29 2:33:48

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 23:11 -0300, Leonardo Fontenelle wrote:
> I'm setting a VMware virtual machine with Gentoo and GNOME to help
> translators test the user interface translations. I'm planning to use
> GNOME beta 1, so I'd like to ask:
>
> 1. Where should I expect it: in the developers' overlay[1], or in
> portage as a hardmasked package?
> 2. Currently there is no meta ebuild for GNOME will-be-2.16; should I
> try to adapt one, or is it going to come with the beta ebuilds?
>
> Leonardo Fontenelle
>
> 1. http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/gnome

It will initially be in the overlay.  In the past, we've put the masked
beta into portage, but with the official overlay, I'd advocate leaving
it there until the final release is available.  However, even money
it'll make it into portage masked.

There will be a gnome meta-ebuild when someone gets around to making
it...  You might want to roll your own, because it likely won't happen
until someone needs to do a clean install, which will probably be post
2.16 release.  In practice, the current meta should work fine for a
clean install, since the newest versions will be pulled in.  That said,
if you do make one, feel free to send it my way, and I'll commit it to
the overlay.

Daniel