List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Mozilla, seamonkey ??
From:       Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-07-17 18:07:14

Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Thus spake Donnie Berkholz on Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 02:06:25AM CDT
>> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>>> Seamonkey isn't installed so it shouldn't be blocking anything.  I don't want
>>> it installed.  Mozilla _is_ installed, and I don't want to un-install it.  I
>>> can't run this update until this is resolved.
>>>
>>> Should I report this as a bug?
>> No, seamonkey is the replacement for mozilla. The old mozilla package is
>> full of security holes and no longer maintained by upstream, so we're
>> transitioning all packages using it to either seamonkey or firefox, if
>> possible.
>
> Thanks, Donnie.  Tobias Heinlein said I ought to use 'firefox' instead of
> 'mozilla' in my USE flags.  Does this square with current recommended practice
> from the Gentoo devs?  I note that unmerging mozilla nukes galeon, on which I
> depend.  Galeon will USE firefox (which I assume provides its rendering
> engine), but not seamonkey.

Well, USE=firefox or USE=seamonkey, depending on how you want to go.
galeon-2.0.1-r2 at least uses seamonkey, I just looked at it.

> Is this issue documented anywhere?  Is there a periodic newsletter to which I
> can subscribe which will keep me up to speed with these changes, similar to
> what the Debain Weekly News does for Debian?

There is the GWN [1]. I'm unsure whether it has published anything about
this.

> Mozilla may be old and fusty, but it's the browser that emerged like a a
> phoenix from the MS/Netscape "browser wars" partly as a result of Eric
> Raymond's famous "The Cathedral and The Bazaar" essay.  I know the mozilla code
> is a nightmare to work with, but it's certaily a venerable piece of work and I
> hope, if only for that reason, that it continues to be available as an ebuild
> in Gentoo.

Seamonkey, for all intents and purposes, _is_ mozilla and will be the
continuation of it. The 'mozilla' ebuild will be disappearing.

Thanks,
Donnie

1. http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/gwn.xml