List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop]  Re: Use flag changes
From:       Graham Murray <graham () gmurray ! org ! uk>
Date:       2006-07-13 15:49:07

"Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> writes:

> Thus the dynamic is quite different.  It makes less sense to have a single
> global qt flag, because the versions are rather more independent of each
> other, few packages support both at the same time, and the two versions
> can therefore almost be treated as two entirely independent toolkits in
> terms of USE flags.  Practically, the difference between qt3 and qt4
> dependiencies is almost as wide as that between qt3 and gtk, thus
> justifying the separate USE flags.

I would think that the opposite would be true. As few packages support
both, I would think that this is a good reason to just have one qt USE
flag which pulls in support for whichever version of qt each
individual package supports. The only package I have seen which would
support the need for having separate USE flags is
app-text/poppler-bindings which can support either or both qt3 and
qt4.