List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] update world issue (oops)
From:       Andrei Slavoiu <ansla80 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-06-09 9:13:38

--- Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@gentoo.org> wrote:
> x3n wrote:
> > Why have you unmask the xorg-x11 7.1 ebuild if
> neither NVIDIA, neither
> > ATI have released a driver compatible with this
> version ? I think that
> > today, there a lot and lot of users with nv or ati
> cards...
> > Perhaps you know when nvidia will released the new
> driver ?
>
> Your last question answers your first. I have
> absolutely no idea when
> Nvidia or ATi will deign to release compatible
> drivers. I'm not about to
> sit back and let things rot because IHVs are
> essentially slacking off
> and won't even commit to a timetable on when things
> will work. The ABI
> breakage has been known for months by people working
> for both companies,
> but they've failed to provide updated drivers.
>
> All of the open-source drivers are compatible, and
> I'm aware of only a
> small number of cases in which binary drivers
> support hardware
> open-source drivers do not (ATi X1000 and up).
Actualy the xorg drivers were not that trouble-free
either. 3D acceleration with the r300 driver does not
work with the DRM modules that come with kernel 2.6.16
and a standalone snapshot that would work with them
was only added to portage today. After upgrading to
xorg 7.1 I had to emerge vanilla-sources-2.6.17_rc5 to
have 3D acceleration back.
So I think 7.1 was unmasked a little too early, being
in portage was enough for anyone who wanted to try it out.